Happy Friday, everyone! Hope you’ve had a terrific week!
I can’t wait to share this week’s FIND OUT FRIDAY with you. David Gulledge is my nephew-in-law (Is that a thing?).
He married my niece, Catherine, two years ago this week. He’s also the new Worship Pastor at Oak Ridge Baptist Church in Concord, NC.
David has been playing music for 14 years. He is self-taught and plays the guitar and the piano. He also has the voice as smooth as homemade butter!
Let’s find out more about David and his new position as Worship Pastor:
- How did you get started in music? Well, you might not believe this, but I got started playing Guitar Hero.
- How did you know that you had talent? My grandmother had a karaoke party for her birthday and he sang a song and the whole family came over and listed to me sing. They didn’t know that I could sing or play the guitar.
- What did you want to do with your talent? I wanted to move to Nashville and sing country music. (But, boy, am I, Maria, so glad he didn’t do that). And then I met Catherine…
- How did you get into worship music? In 2013, I surrendered my life to Christ and began running the sound board where I attended church. When people in the congretation heard me they encouraged me to join the praise band. When we moved churches, I was asked to join the worship team there. From there, I felt a calling to minstry so I decided to give my entire music career and life to worship through song. I was offered a position as a Worship Minister at our new choice.
- What do you want to do with your music now? As awesome as it would be to be a traveling Christian musician, I just want to worship and lead people to worship in true theological music.
- What is your favorite worship song… or favorites? My favorite hymn is ALL CREATURES OF OUR GOD AND KING. (and by the way… he does a beautiful job on his version of the song) He also likes NO LONGER SLAVES. He also likes anything that SOVERIGN GRACE does.
- How have you been able to worship during this time of social distancing? Our church quickly began live-streaming on Facebook. Previously, the church had not been on line with the exception of a Facebook page. So, COVID-19 has actually helped the church reach more people that did not attend the church before. As much as we still miss meeting in person, we’ve tried to follow rules and keep our congregation members safe. We’ve also done a drive-in service which was great. We were filmed for a news broadcast and that was exciting for the church.
- Who has helped you become a good worship leader? Pastor Dave, at Friendship Baptist, really had a great influence on me. He taught me a lot about leadership and the true meaning of worship. He was very encouraging when I joined the worship team. At Oak Ridge, I have to thank the Choir Director, Wendy, for her help and guidance in our transition to a new church. And of course, Pastor Robert at Oak Ridge, becuase we have to bounce our ideas off of each other, encourage each other, and wrestle with our theology.
- What is a goal for you within the next year? I want to lead the congregation to a higher theology through music. I want them to learn and grow spiritually.
- Lastly, what words do you live by. When I pray for woship, I give all glory to God and pray that my instruments be used as his instruments and typicall quote Psalm:100, “Know that the Lord is God. He made us and we are His. We are His people. Let us workship Him with gladness.”
To listen to David and his beautiful, country voice, here are a few options:
While David is very talented, he is also very humble and thankful for the gift he has been given. He’s thrilled to be singing for God and making a difference in his community.
Do you know someone making a difference in your community? If so, why not nominate them to be a future FIND OUT FRIDAY guest. Feel free to email me at email@example.com or leave a comment below.
Have a fantastic Friday and a wonderful weekend!